This is an opening entry level position within Virology Manufacturing at Microbix recently posted. The role is part of the production team which propagates mammalian cells and viruses and other microorganisms for assembly into diagnostic medical devices.
Microbix is a fast growing biotechnology company based in Mississauga.
Founded in 1988 as a producer of infectious disease antigens, primarily for the diagnostics market, the Company invests in the virology business to build capacity and develop new products to address emerging market opportunities, while enhancing manufacturing and laboratory capabilities and technologies.
Building on expertise in virology and protein biochemistry, the Company developed a pipeline of selected biological technologies including VIRUSMAX (Influenza Virus Yield Enhancement Technology), LumiSort™ (Semen Sexing Technology) and the thrombolytic drug, Kinlytic® (Urokinase).
Our emerging products take aim at large market opportunities. With Microbix’ core competencies in the Diagnostics business, including cell culture, molecular biology, and GMP quality system, these new products build on Microbix’ strength.
To apply for this job send your resume to [email protected].
The Manufacturing Technician serves four primary functions for Microbix.:
- Participates with other members of the manufacturing culture team on cell and seed revival, scale up and culture of bulk quantities of viral antigens.
- Prepares sterile buffers and reagents according to written procedures to support culture activities
- Preparation of optimal cell cultures for infection (Upstream Team) but participates with the infection and processing group (Downstream Team) to ensure close coordination and information feedback to maximize batch production success
- Adhere to good manufacturing practices with accurate and concise document reporting.
- Minimum college diploma in a scientific discipline involving mammalian or microorganism culture
Experience / Knowledge:
Preference given to candidates with:
- experience in mammalian cell culture
- Viral propagation experience
- Track record in manufacturing in a GMP environment
- Clean room experience
- strong communication skills
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to work with basic computer software like Microsoft Office
- General knowledge of electrical, plumbing and carpentry an asset.
- 1-2 years relevant experience preferred
- Reports to and works under minimum technical direction from the manufacturing Supervisor
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize job assignments.
- Supports the team lead and supervisors in monitoring cultures to verify they meet batch record requirements and to assist with culture problem prevention and/or trouble shooting as required
- Accurately maintains stock tissues of appropriate cell lines during culture scale up.
- Effectively and reliably identifies and reports any non-conformances.
- Completes documentation such as batch records, reports and non-conformance documents factually, accurately and on a timely basis.
- An effective communicator with team members, supervisors and the Production Manager.
- Actively participates in summary meetings and troubleshooting activities.
- Adheres to GMP and safety procedures
Microbix Biosystems Inc.
265 Watline Avenue
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada