Product Manager, Molecular Diagnostics Solutions
We are looking for an experienced individual with the vision, drive, creativity and perseverance to continue advancing Microbix’ new molecular quality control products line that has been under development for the past several years. The Product Manager, Molecular Diagnostics Solutions will enhance and advance the plan that has been developed over the last few years through its final year, and launch our new line of molecular diagnostic products in the USA and Canada initially, followed quickly by a European launch. You will provide ideas and direction to the development team, contribute to the ISO 13485 certification, complete development and execution of, the commercialization plan, and ultimately generate sales by managing all aspects of these products.
The role may evolve/expand and could eventually involve a sales component. The Product Manager will have the opportunity to shape, build and grow this exciting new product line and will have full accountability for the success of the products.
A deep understanding of molecular diagnostic technology and its use a clinical lab is very important for this position.
To apply for this position click here.
Microbix is a fast growing biotechnology company based in Mississauga.
Founded in 1988 as a producer of infectious disease antigens, primarily for the diagnostics market, the Company invests in the virology business to build capacity and develop new products to address emerging market opportunities, while enhancing manufacturing and laboratory capabilities and technologies.
Building on expertise in virology and protein biochemistry, the Company developed a pipeline of selected biological technologies including LumiSort™ (Semen Sexing Technology) and the thrombolytic drug, Kinlytic® (Urokinase).
Our emerging products take aim at large market opportunities. With Microbix’ core competencies in the Diagnostics business, including cell culture, molecular biology, and GMP quality system, these new products build on Microbix’ strength.
- Your skillset and experience working in a regulated biological diagnostics environment will be essential in helping design and position our molecular control products to quality control and diagnostics users.
- You will lead and optimize efforts currently in place to design, market and launch a new line of molecular diagnostic products that leverage Microbix’ leadership position in the world of diagnostic virology and care for a growing stable of customers.
- Analyze the current and prospective competitive landscape in molecular diagnostic reagents and components. You will generate ideas for new products and directions, which will complement Microbix’ current skills.
- Assist the sales team with market direction and positioning existing and new products. This will include creating collateral and positioning Microbix products against competitive products in relevant market opportunities.
- Daily work with internal stakeholders (Development, Quality, Finance, Inventory Control, Shipping, etc.) to organize and maintain all aspects of the product line. You are the owner of this line, the buck stops with you.
- Develop your “good ideas” into the existing business plan, considering all aspects of development, market launch and product life cycle that will generate future revenue
- Work with internal stakeholders responsible for Microbix’ current infectious disease antigen business on specific tasks as assigned by your manager
- Act as the product manager for this developing line – guiding all phases of development, marketing, sales, inventory levels, quality and production departments.
- Work with the SVP of Sales, Marketing and Business Development providing regular updates, forecasts and strategy.
- Advise the Director, Research and Development on new products and ongoing development projects, coordinating internal and external resources and partners needed to bring products to market quickly
- Generate a customer database and generate new leads through market research and prospecting
- Develop relationships with OEM manufacturers in the molecular biologics markets
- Maintain customers and leads in Salesforce.com
- Strategic planning for molecular products on a one, three and five year basis
- Organize and attend key trade shows and customer meetings worldwide. Travel 10-20% of time
- Understand the sales process and how to take new customers to the point of ordering. The role may involve responsibility for sales in subsequent years
- Define and manage product KPIs across the product portfolio.
- Ensure continuous improvement of commercialization activities through best practices, evaluation and implementation of improvements
- Collaborate with sales and marketing on product positioning, go-to-market strategies and target segments
- Identify appropriate product distribution channels and processes to reach target customers.
- Adhere to company policies on environmental, health, safety and workplace policies.
- University degree in life sciences, ideally in biotechnology.
- Marketing candidates with science experience will be considered
- Deep understanding of how diagnostic testing labs operate with particular experience in using molecular diagnostic test systems
- Experience in the validation of, and ongoing quality control management of, regulated diagnostics test procedures
- Experience in a marketing or sales role in molecular biology, preferably diagnostics, ideally with reagents/consumables an asset.
- Experience building strategic market access plans for biological products or medical devices
- An aptitude for product development and marketing with awareness of taking an idea through development, market launch, to sales.
- Experience with ISO and FDA regulatory standards a strong asset
- Experience building strategic market access plans for biologicals or medical devices
- Must demonstrate the ability to build successful business relationships and influence up, down and across an organization
- Ability to provide innovative solutions to complex market access challenges
- Business to Business sales experience an asset
- Experience leading cross functional teams in the planning and execution of product manufacturing
- Strong planning and project management skills
- A positive can-do individual who is enthusiastic and able to interact with a diverse range of people is a must for this role
- Strong analytical skills, technical aptitude and desire to roll up your sleeves
- Ability to analyze business trends and financial metrics, including sales, return on investments, and profit and loss
- Ability to understand complex systems and technology processes
- Strong communication skills, including active listening skills, able to build credible relationships with a broad range of stakeholders
- A will to succeed and be part of an evolving, business-critical team
- Reliable, resilient, able to remain calm under pressure and a strong team ethic
- Strong business ethic, integrity